Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Thing 2: Student Blogging and Writing

I found it really neat to watch the video and hear some examples from a teacher on how blogging was used in the classroom (and from a wide grade range). While the video was interesting, I really enjoyed (and learned a lot from) the first three articles. There was some topics that I never even thought about. Cyber security and cyber bullying are two things that I am aware of, but I never thought about how blogging could assist in teaching about these issues. The section of the first article about getting students inspired through blogging was also fascinating and eye opening for me. I am a high school music teacher, and we don't do a whole lot of writing in class. When we do, it is usually not a favorite activity. I think the next concert reflection assignment that we do in class will be a blogging assignment. So, yes, I do see the value in blogging, especially the part where students get to interact with their peers' writing.
Here's how I might implement blogging into an assignment. One of the topics we write about and discuss in class is concert reflection/assessment. After our initial discussion, I would instruct students to start to write a concert review (as if they were writing for a newspaper or magazine. The follow up to the assignment would be to assign them a partner, have them read their partner's concert review, and then write a response on their partner's blog. The response would have to include both positive and constructive feedback, and possibly a question or two.
The only question I have at the moment about blogging vs. writing on paper is what to do with students who have limited or no access to internet at home. Has anyone tried these assignments in more rural areas?

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a great way to introduce this in your classes. But that is a challenge for students without access at home. How do they complete assignments from other teachers that require online work after school? Is there a way for them to write offline and upload when they get back to school? I think you could do that with google docs. Or offer it as a paper based assignment?

    ReplyDelete